Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Getting Frugal!

I was watching one of those shows where people make 5 years of my salary in one day....I think it was one of those real estate shows on Bravo.  I got to thinking....where have I gone wrong in life?? (kidding!!) In all actuality, I love the career path I have chosen for myself.  I love being a social worker and working with children and their families.  But, lets face it...social workers aren't exactly rolling in cash.  Perhaps it the Scorpio in me...but I have been feeling pretty frugal, so I decided to track my spending for one month.  Wow! Talk about eye opening!  There is still 7 days left of this month and I have spent way more money than I thought I had.  Now that I am completely finished with school...I am realizing that those student loans aren't going anywhere...and I suppose I shouldn't count on winning the mega millions as a back up plan.  I definitely think that I am going to keep tracking my spending, because it really does put things into perspective.  Now there are some expenses you really can't avoid such as rent, gas, food, and insurance.  Personally, I didn't feel like I was overspending until I took a look at the sum amount.  Little things add up!  I also realized that some of those "frugal tips" really don't work for me.  For example, I have read that its smart to give yourself a weekly "allowance" and pay with cash.  That doesn't work for me because when I have cash...I am more likely to buy that $4.00 coffee, a $3.00 protein bar or scratch off lotto tickets.  I am less likely to put those little purchases on my debit card.  So I guess you need to find what works for you and stick to it.  (But if I win the lottery...that would be fine, too) ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment