Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A crazy day calls for an easy recipe!

What a crazy day.  My mind has been somewhere else all day long!  It all started when I was leaving a very important voice message and I left my WORK NUMBER!!!! How freaking embarassing!!!  Oh, and then the person called back and at the end of the call I accidentally called her by the wrong name.  (I'm pretending that she didn't hear that though!! *lol*)  After the gym, I went to Kroger I got a few things.  Well, what do you know...I get all the way to my apartment and realized I had forgotten my eggs!!!  I went back and the attendant was very nice and she knew exactly who I was.  I then get back to my apartment....lay on the floor with my cat like I usually do until I am finally motivated to getting ready for dinner and what do you know....I have no black beans!!! I REALLY wanted what I planned to have... so I went all the way back to Kroger for a can of black beans.  I refused to put $.71 cents on my debit card so I scrounged up some change from my piggy bank.  While I was out, I figured I'd fill up my gas tank since its cheap.  (It's sad that $3.69 is "cheap" these days.)  Wouldn't you know it...I started to drive away with the nozzle still in my car.  Well, I'll just pretend no one saw that either.  Needless to say...it's a glass of wine kind of night.  I had a nice, long, relaxing weekend but today my mind is obviously elsewhere.

If anyone is interested, here's what I made for dinner!  It's originally a Kraft recipe...but I modified it with cleaner/healthier ingredients.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can no sugar added sweet corn- drained (or use fresh off the cob or cooked frozen, whatever fits your fancy)
  • 1 can low sodium black beans -rinsed and drained or cook your own (I used canned today...more convenient)
  • 1 packet low sodium taco seasoning (I've made my own before...but I lost that recipe!)
  • 1 cup minute brown rice
  • 4 whole grain tortillas
  • cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray and bake 10 minutes. (Keep an eye on them...sometimes they burn!)

Meanwhile...make the brown rice according to the directions.  In a saucepan, mix black beans, corn, cooked rice and taco seasoning until heated throughout (about 5 minutes). 

Serve on tostadas and enjoy!  sometimes I add lettuce, tomato and part skim mozzarella cheese if I have it.  (Today was a cheese day!)

I'm not sure of the nutrition facts right off the bat, I'd have to sit down and figure it out...which I probably will if I add everything to my spark people nutrition tracker :o) (http://www.sparkpeople.com/. Check it out...it's free and there is a free smart phone app!)

This is seriously the quickest thing to make.  The filling is great in plain whole grain tortillas not toasted too!

No comments:

Post a Comment